12/31/2011

Living a Longer and Healthier Life by keeping Score

Do you want to live a longer and healthier life? holding score will help you do so. Let me account for how.

Remember when you were in school and you got your report card? You'd look at the grade and discover how well you had done the past semester. If you did well you received determined reinforcement for your good work. If you didn't do as well as you wanted, you got feedback on where to improve. Optimal health is just like being in school again. But this time what you're graded on is risk factors which reflect your lifestyle and health practices.

Afib Stroke

Risk factors recount data about you and a definite disease that helps health care providers assess your present and time to come health. Each risk factor is like a piece of a puzzle representing your health..

Living a Longer and Healthier Life by keeping Score

Each risk factor that you have increases your chances of prematurely dying. Many risk factors overlap and are tasteless to many diseases. The five most tasteless are:

  • Unhealthy eating
  • Smoking
  • Weight issues/obesity
  • Physical inactivity
  • Air pollution

Other risk factors include:

  • High blood pressure
  • High Cholesterol
  • Low Hdl Cholesterol
  • High Triglycerides
  • Elevated lipoproteins
  • Stress
  • Diabetes
  • Race
  • Age
  • Geography
  • Family History
  • Poor hygiene

Lifestyle changes are effective in mitigating most risk factors. That's why it's leading to identify and normally check the risk factors that are most leading to your optimal health. Meet with your health care provider and recapitulate you curative family history as well as your curative profile. Determine what risk factors you should monitor, how you'll monitor them and how often. This is you're your optimal health report card. Personalize it and make sure that what you keep score on matters to you and has the biggest impact on your health.When your scores aren't on the mark make the important life style changes to get your life back on track.

Let me account for how holding score probably saved my life...

Because I have a history of high blood pressure and take medication for it, I normally check my blood pressure and resting heart rate. One day I consideration that my blood pressure was normal but my resting heart rate was higher than normal. My resting heart rate is normally 50-55 but on this day it was 85. This is still in the normal range for most people. But it wasn't normal for me. While working out later that day I noticed that I became out of breath and tired sooner than usual while running at a slower pace than usual. I checked my heart rate the next morning and it was still in the 80s so I went to see my former care physician. During the visit we discovered that I had an arterial fibrillation or irregular heart beat. Citizen with A Fib, as it's called, are at risk of a stroke. The appropriate protocol is prescribing a blood thinner to sell out this risk. Had I not been holding score and monitoring my numbers normally I would have been in a high risk mode for a stroke and not know it. After six months my heart rate returned to normal and I stopped taking blood thinners. But I still keep score by monitoring my resting heart rate. If the A Fib returns I can conduct the risk.

Remember normal isn't optimal. What happens to most Citizen is what is normal. It's very normal for men to have a heart attack by 72 and women by 76. Neither is optimal. To live a longer and healthier life we must move from normal to optimal. Make sure the guidelines you set for yourself in your optimal health score card help you achieve optimal health. Don't settles for less.

For more facts on optimal health go to: http://antiagingoptimalhealth.com

Living a Longer and Healthier Life by keeping ScoreAtrial Fibrillation & Coumadin® Replacements--StopAfib.org interviews Dr. Manish Shah Video Clips. Duration : 7.47 Mins.


Dr. Manish Shah talks about Dabigatran and Rivaroxaban, new drugs in clinicals trials to replace the blood thinner Coumadin® (warfarin), an anticoagulant frequently used to avoid strokes by those with atrial fibrillation. He talks about the two categories of these new drugs, thrombin inhibitors and Factor Xa (10a) inhibitors. Dr. Shah is Associate Director of Cardiac Arrhythmia Research at the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, DC, and Assistant Professor of Medicine at Georgetown University School of Medicine. StopAfib.org, at www.StopAfib.org, is for atrial fibrillation patients by afib patients. A full video transcript can be found at stopafib.org

Tags: dabigatran, coumadin, atrial fibrillation, rivaroxaban, warfarin, Dr. Manish Shah, clotting cascade, thrombin inhibitor, Factor Xa inhibitor, blood thinner drugs, Stop, Afib

No comments:

Post a Comment